Influencers and brand ambassadors have grown in popularity among businesses in the past few years. As society becomes more technologically adept, influencer marketing has been used by many organisations as an effective strategy to promote their business. But who are these so-called influencers and what do they do?
How an influencer can work for your club
Brand ambassadors and influencers are people who represent your club to the wider public in order to increase you club’s awareness and credibility. Similar to a spokesperson, these people help promote products or services on their social media platforms to their followers. As a result, promotions by these influencers help generate a wider reach for your club. While once upon a time traditional brand ambassadors were celebrities or high-profile figures, social media has allowed everyday people to have the capability to influence the public. Influencers can be in the form of food bloggers, fitness and health advocates, academics, public figures and many others. These people have managed to establish their presence and credibility with the digital public and have the ability to influence their followers to act based on their endorsements.
Do they really work?
Despite influencer marketing being a fairly new concept, there are many examples of its success for businesses. According to a report by the Digital Marketing Institute, 74% of people trust the opinions of influencers when making the decision of buying a service or product. In addition, 49% of consumers depend on recommendations by influencers. Most influencers have large following on their social media platforms and can therefore impact a larger, newer audience. These statistics are constantly growing, meaning that influencers are a great strategy to promote you club and its services.
The following is a case study of Perth-based food blogger and influencer Inexology to provide an example of the type of content she posts, her engagement with followers, and how her posts help promote businesses.
What to consider before investing in an influencer
Investing in an influencer is a big decision and one that often involves spending money. Therefore, influencer marketing strategies aren’t for every club, but they can still have an impact in promoting your brand to a wider public. If you choose to invest in an influencer or brand ambassador, there are a few things you need to consider.
- Set goals: why should your club invest in an influencer? Whether it be to gain more members, increase services or sell products, influencers can act as a catalyst. Setting goals will help you better identify what role an influencer can play to
reach those goals.
- Influencers should genuinely use your club’s services or products, such as attending events, taking part in club activities and using your goods and services.
- Your members and the public should know if you are paying for the influencer to promote your service. Integrity and honesty is important.
Where do I find an influencer and how do I pick the right one?
The world of social media is rife with influencers and brand ambassadors and quite a few of them can be found in WA. The Influencer Agency (TIA) is a WA-based company that oversees a majority of influencers. On their website you can find a variety of influencers from different categories with information regarding their work. Once you have chosen an influencer, you can contact the agency or the person themselves to find out more information. But before you get to that step, you need to know who the right person for your club is. Here’s how you can figure that out:
- Have a clear idea of your club’s ethics, values and message. This will help you choose a suitable ambassador and one that shares similar qualities.
- The person must align with your target audience. This doesn’t necessarily mean the influencer must align with the age group. Influencers and your target audience should share similar interests and values; this makes promoting your club more effective.
- It is important that your relationship with the influencer is healthy. This means communication about what you want them to do and how you would like them to do it should be clear. They should also be willing to promote your club.
- Ensure there is no conflict of interest, such as picking an influencer who has an existing association with a competitor club or organisation.
- The ambassador should have a good depth of knowledge about your club. This is important because questions from their followers will be answered by them, not you.
- Brand ambassadors do not have to be high-profile people. You can use your club’s President, committee members or employees/volunteers embody the role of a spokesperson for your club. This makes the process easier and free. However, setting up a guideline or strategy for the person to follow will make that role easier.
If you are looking for ways to promote your club’s products or services, using an influencer is a good method of doing so. The current popularity of influencers and their ability to persuade audiences can significantly improve your club’s brand and reputation. Influencer marketing will also ensure your club’s branding is up-to-date with the times.